Thursday, June 24, 2010

Honey Cashew Thumbprint Cookies



We're all thumbs this week, as we search for the best tasting, healthy version of the thumbprint cookie. On Monday, we brought you a flax/spelt/almond recipe that Erin really loves, but left me on the quest for one I like even more. One that I wouldn't have to serve with a disclaimer, "It's really good...for a healthy cookie." Kind of like saying, "But it's got a really good personality!"

As I said on Monday, the thumbprint cookie is one of Erin's faves. As for me, even if loaded with butter and sugar, TP's are like skirts...a last resort. But I have to say, we found a simple recipe that has me eating a bit of crow...and too many cookies.

Honey & Cashew Thumbprint Cookies
slightly adapted from Ashley Skabar/About.com

2 cups whole grain rolled oats
1 heaping cup of cashews
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2/3 cup honey
*1/2 cup Safflower oil (or canola oil)
fruit juice sweetened jam or preserves

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

The original recipe calls for oat flour, but we used rolled oats...


...and pulsed in a food processor until finely ground into flour. You could use a blender as well or just buy oat flour. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl. Next, finely grind the cashews and add to oats along with salt.

In a small bowl, whisk the oil and honey until combined.

Tart tip: Measure the oil first so the honey doesn't stick to the measuring cup.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until the mixture forms a dough that just holds together.

Form into 2 inch balls...


Press your thumb in the center of the ball...


And fill with preserves...


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until cookies are golden brown. We took ours out at 16 minutes and let them sit so they were nice and soft. If you want them crispier, more like a shortbread, leave them in for the whole 20. Cool and enjoy!


They may not be Ina-Garten-Good, but for a 'healthy' cookie, this little baby takes the cake...or is it the cookie?

For a truly vegan twist, we could probably sub 1/3 cup maple syrup and 1/3 cup brown rice syrup. We'll try it and let ya know!

So, have I become a fan of the thumbprint cookie? Well, like kids and country, they're slowly working their magic, but I'll be damned if I'm wearin' a skirt.

Have any similar recipes you'd like to share? We'd love to hear from you:)

8 comments:

  1. Yum!! These remind of the Pepperidge Farms ones I used to eat as a kid. But they actually look A LOT healthier, which is a good thing in my book. The consistency looks amazing!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. they looks awesome, I might have to try them over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks & sounds absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! And I love your blog. Your recipes sound delicious and simple enough for a novice cook like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those look so delicious. I need to learn to bake so I can indulge my sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious. And congratulations on the baby--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i feel like you girls have been mia and Im getting worried. I know there is a newborn, so youre excused, but still wanted to say hi!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so these totally count as breakfast food, right? mmm, they look like they'd be soft and kind of chewy. yum!

    ReplyDelete