- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Butter (or sub real butter)
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound green Swiss chard, stems and center ribs finely chopped and leaves coarsely chopped separately
- 8 large Brussel Sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 cup coarsely chopped kabocha squash
- 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Sea Salt
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook garlic, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer garlic with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 5 quarts water) until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water and drain spaghetti.
Cook onion in oil remaining in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir chard stems into onion mixture with water (they don't specify how much, so we did about an 1/8 cup) and 3/4 tsp. each of salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chard leaves and Kabocha Squash.
Cook, covered, until stems, leaves and squash are tender, about 5 minutes.
At the same time, melt vegan butter in the pan you used for the pine nuts. After a minute, add Brussel Sprouts, let sizzle for a bit and toss to coat. Set aside.
Toss spaghetti with chard, squash, sprouts and 1/4 cup cooking water, adding more cooking water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts and garlic chips.