Thursday, June 24, 2010
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Friday, June 11, 2010
Thursday, June 10, 2010
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Monday, June 7, 2010
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Butter (or sub real butter)
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound green Swiss chard, stems and center ribs finely chopped and leaves coarsely chopped separately
- 8 large Brussel Sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 cup coarsely chopped kabocha squash
- 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Sea Salt
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook garlic, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer garlic with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in a pasta pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 5 quarts water) until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water and drain spaghetti.
Cook onion in oil remaining in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir chard stems into onion mixture with water (they don't specify how much, so we did about an 1/8 cup) and 3/4 tsp. each of salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chard leaves and Kabocha Squash.
Cook, covered, until stems, leaves and squash are tender, about 5 minutes.
At the same time, melt vegan butter in the pan you used for the pine nuts. After a minute, add Brussel Sprouts, let sizzle for a bit and toss to coat. Set aside.
Toss spaghetti with chard, squash, sprouts and 1/4 cup cooking water, adding more cooking water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts and garlic chips.